Wednesday, September 25, 2013

"A Pair of Shoes" - Vincent van Gogh


      "A Pair of Shoes" was painted by Vincent van Gogh during his Paris Period (1886). It is oil on canvas.  This picture interested me after I painted in watercolor a pair of old boots in class.  I was told my shoe inspiration was similar to a painting by Van Gogh so I looked it up. This picture has a similar character to what I like, a story. The shoes are worn out, folded over  and old but they are much more appealing than new ones.  The background is faded and full of texture.  I like the contrast of  the light behind the dark boots, then turns darker, it has depth.  It makes me wonder more where these shoes had been and the mystery of whose they had been. He really knew how to make simple things captivating. This painting resides in the Van Gogh museum in Amsterdam.

No comments:

Post a Comment