Wednesday, September 4, 2013


     I chose "The False Mirror" by Rene Magritte. This painting is dated 1928 and was created in Paris, France. It is from a surrealist point of view and its medium is oil on canvas.

    This detailed painting of an eye caught my attention in the book because of its color contrast. There is a pale blue iris with floating clouds that seem very light and a large black pupil that opposes it. Since this painting was called  "The False Mirror" I interpreted this large blue surface to symbolize the calm, cool, reflection we wish to project on the world. While the black pupil stands out and it very mysterious and represents to me some sort of unknown. Like it leads to the true person. I thought it was interesting how such a simple painting could produce so much thought for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment