This is an oil on canvas and was completed in 1814 by Goya. It is currently being displayed in the Museo del Prado, Madrid. Goya intended to commemorate Spanish resistance to Napoleon's armies during the occupation of 1808 in the Peninsular War. Along with its companion piece of the same size, "The Second of May 1808," it was commissioned by the provisional government of Spain at Goya's suggestion. The painting's content, presentation, and emotion secures its status as a groundbreaking image of the horrors of war.